HISTORY OF THE ANDREWS CUP ASSOCIATION
By 1938, although there were many long established girls’ independent schools in Queensland, few had junior or primary grades.
Two sisters, Isabel (1898-1981) and Jessie (1910-2008) Andrews who were both teachers at Somerville House felt that young pupils, who competed in Inter Form competitions with the senior school, though very enthusiastic, were never going to be successful in sporting competitions.
They asked Miss Jarrett, Principal of the School if they might donate a trophy for sporting activities between Somerville House and sister school Clayfield College at the junior school level. Thus the Andrews Cup was born.
At the end of each year the Cup was awarded to the School which had achieved most points in the sports: swimming, athletics and ballgames, tennis, and basketball. Additional Cups for Lifesaving, The Wilson Kerr Cup, and for a swimming relay, The Mabel Springfield Cup, were introduced in the 1940s.
By 1944 Moreton Bay College joined the competition; in 1962 St Aidan’s, St Hilda’s and St Margaret’s were added. Two further schools, Toowoomba Preparatory School (now Toowoomba Anglican College and Preparatory School) and The Glennie School joined later whilst Ipswich Junior Grammar School & Fairholme College became members in 2012.
By 1965 a new cup was needed; this second one lasted until 1992. The third cup has been inscribed with the names of the schools which won individual sports. In 2007 cups for individual sports were introduced.
The range of sports has increased to include Netball, Cross Country, Artistic Gymnastics, Touch Football and Softball.
2008 Clayfield College 2009 Somerville House 2010 Moreton Bay College 2011 St. Aidan’s 2012 St. Aidan’s 2013 St. Hilda’s 2014 St. Aidan’s 2015 Somerville House 2016 St Aidan’s 2017 Event not contested .. Presented to the winner of the A Grade Tennis competition .. . . . . . […]